Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A football lesson and 1 awesome uncle

Last night my hubby and I watched our first football game of the season.  Sundays haven't worked lately because Timmy has played fall baseball and we are busy with that.  Hannah and Timmy watched the first hour with us and then went off to bed.  We talked about such things as  Do the Packers have a mascot?  What it is it?  My answer guess was a piece of cheese.  The kids thought the idea of some guy dressed up as a chunk of cheese was hilarious, but hey it could happen...  Hannah asked "What is a rush?"  I said, "I don't know.  Ask Daddy."  Timmy answered that "it's when a lot of guys chase someone who has the ball."  According to this website the definition of a rush is 1. To run from the scrimmage line with the football.  2. To put pressure on the quarterback in an attempt to tackle him or force him into a bad throw.

Since the Packers were playing the Vikings at the Metrodome, there is a crew that changes the field into either a baseball field or a football field.  The Twins played Sunday, then they had to quick change the field over for the Vikes game last night and now quick change it over so the twins can play today.*  At one point during the game a bunch of foot ball players were right in the general area of where the pitchers mound would be.  I wonder if any of the football players take notice and think to themselves 'I'm standing where the pitcher's mound is.'  I probably would, but I'm guessing they are not.  I also wonder about the whole process of changing the fields over.  Do they use one crew or several rotating crews?  That's a lot of hours to put in but the season only overlaps a little bit, so I'm guessing they only have one or two crews.  Here is a link that shows a time lapse of the change over.  It's in the middle of the clip but I thought it was neat.  So there you have it a quick little lesson in football.

*The MN Twins are tied with Detroit so they play their tie breaker game today at 4 pm at the dome.  My brother told me he has an extra ticket and would like to surprise Timmy and bring him to the game.  Timmy has no clue.  We will got get him out of school early and surprise him with his twins jersey.  I can't wait to see the look on his face.  I will have the camera ready.   He will then quickly change and head down to the game.  What a awesomely awesome uncle he is!

-F.Y.I. - The Vikings beat the Packers 30-23.

No comments: